If you choose, you may easily uninstall Cortana in Windows 10. Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on How to disable Cortana from Windows 10. This article will help you to Remove/Uninstall Cortana in Windows 10.
Cortana was formerly a component of Windows 10 Search, and some of you may find it difficult to uninstall Cortana. Cortana is no longer a component of Windows 10 after the May 2020 Update, and it is now a standalone programme. In Windows 10, you can update it from the Microsoft Store or even uninstall Cortana.
If you don’t need Cortana and want to get rid of her altogether from your Windows 10 computer, use one of the three methods below.
3 Methods to Completely Remove Cortana in Windows 10
Method 1. Remove Cortana Using PowerShell
- To open Windows PowerShell, press Windows + X and then click Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- To delete Cortana from Windows 10, copy and paste the following command line into the PowerShell window and hit Enter.
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackag
Method 2. Cortana Permanently Disable via Registry Editor
Because you can’t uninstall Cortana through the Control Panel as you can with other apps, you’ll have to alter the Registry to get it off your Windows 10 machine.
However, it is strongly recommended that you backup Registry before making any changes, so that you can easily restore Registry if something goes wrong. (Related: Registry Backup and Restore)
In the event that something goes wrong with your Windows system, you may also build a system restore point. Check out the steps below to remove Cortana from your computer by modifying the Registry.
- To open Registry Editor in Windows 10, hit Windows + R, type regedit in the Run window, then press Enter.
- Next click on:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search. Windows Search is a programme that allows you to search for things If you don’t see a Windows Search folder, right-click the Windows folder and select New -> Key, then call it Windows Search.
- Next, right-click the Windows Search key and select New -> DWORD (32-BIT) Value from the context menu. AllowCortana should be the name of the new value.
- Change the Value data for the AllowCortana key to 0 by double-clicking it. To save your changes, click OK. To make the modifications take effect, restart your computer.
Then you’ll see a conventional Windows Search box in the Taskbar, but no Cortana. If you want to re-enable Cortana, go to Registry Editor and delete or update the value data for the AllowCortana key to 1.
Method 3. Remove Cortana with Group Policy
- To open Group Policy in Windows 10, hit Windows + R, type gpedit.msc in the Run window, and press Enter.
- In the Group Policy box, click the following: Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search > Computer Configuration
- Double-click the Allow Cortana option in the right pane.
- To save the changes, select the Disabled option and click OK. To make the modifications take effect, restart your computer.
Remove Cortana from Windows 10 Taskbar
You can hide the vacant area on the Windows 10 Taskbar by right-clicking it, selecting Cortana, and then selecting Hidden.
Right-click Taskbar, select Cortana, and then Show Cortana symbol to bring back the Cortana icon.
Disable Cortana from Task Manager
- To open Task Manager on Windows 10, use Ctrl + Shift + ESC.
- In Task Manager, go to the Startup tab and right-click Cortana. To disable Cortana in Windows 10 Task Manager, click Disable.
If you want to get rid of Cortana from your Windows 10 computer, there are three options. Editing the Registry or Group Policy, on the other hand, is a little risky. If you don’t like Cortana, you should avoid using it.
Leave a Reply