What is VRchat?
VRchat as the name suggests, is a virtual reality social platform, where it allows the user to interact with the 3D characters. These 3D characters are made according to the user’s choice. The users can also explore the pre-built virtual worlds, which are basically built by other players around the globe. It is a free-to-play virtual social platform. VRchat was released for Windows OS in the year 2014 and later was added to steam in 2017.
Though this app attracted many users, it suffers big time. But such a great app comes with some flaws such as VRchat black screen issues, login issues and server issues. Today we will help you to solve the VRchat black screen issue and later on in the article we will address login and server issues as well. Server issues can’t be fixed by the user, this thing has to be fixed by the VRchat team only.
So, let’s get into the VRchat black screen issue.
1. What are the reasons behind black screen on VRchat?
While playing, you may have gone through a sudden black screen with a loading symbol or a complete black screen. These are the few reasons why black screen appears:
- Resolution error
- Some cache files created by VRchat often tend to crash the app
- Outdated graphics driver on your pc
- Unstable network
2. How to fix these errors?
Now we will see how to fix the VRchat black screen issue. These fixes are tried by a number of users and they have successfully removed the black screen. They are as follows: –
a) Resolution problem:
Black screen can appear when the resolution of your computer is high. If you get the VRchat black screen issue after logging in, then this fix will help you. Basically you just need to lower down your resolution. To lower the resolution of your computer, follow the steps given below:
- Right click on your desktop on empty space
- Select display settings
- The display setting pop up will appear on your screen.
- Scroll down until you see Scale and Layout
- Change the resolution to 1600 x 900 or you can go further below.
This fix can definitely help you to solve the VRchat black screen. Higher resolutions can sometimes be hard to display on your VR headset.
If you use the AMD GPU, follow these steps:
- Open AMD Radeon Software while keeping the VRchat open
- Go inside Games tab
- Find VRchat custom info -> change All options to OFF
- Go to advanced
- Replace anti-aliasing to Replace app configs
- Change anti-aliasing level to 2x
- Also change the scale method to maintain proportions
- Close VRchat
- Change the PC resolution (steps mentioned above)
- Restart the VRchat using steamclient
These are a few general tweaks to solve the VRchat black screen issue. If this fix didn’t help you then obviously you can follow the next one. If your VRchat runs successfully then you can revert back to original resolution settings after launching the app.
b) Clear VRchat cache:
Some cache files created by the app can create problems sometimes. So you need to clear the cache folder from time to time. To remove the cache files follow the steps written below.
- Press Windows buttons + R, the run dialog box will appear on your screen.
- Search Appdata
- The appdata folder will appear, click LocalLow folder.
- Delete the VRchat folder to clear all the cached data
- Now launch Steam and go to the Library.
- Right click on VRchat -> Properties
- A popup window will appear. Now click on Verify integrity of game files.
- After verification relaunch the VRchat app.
These steps will solve the VRchat black screen issue. Sometimes clearing cache files is necessary for an app to run successfully.
c) Check whether your Graphic Card driver has an update or not:
Try to check whether your Graphic card drivers are up to date or not, because sometimes old drivers may be the reason for VRchat black screen issues. Corrupted graphics driver may lead to random crashes or black screens in any app which needs a GPU to handle tasks.
To update graphics driver follow the steps written below:
- Go to the search tab on the taskbar and search for device manager.
- Extend the display adapter by clicking on the drop down arrow.
- Select your graphic card and right click on it
- Click on the update driver button.
- A popup window will appear, select automatically search for updated driver software.
- This will automatically search and update your graphics driver.
- After updating the driver a restart is mandatory.
Now launch the VRchat app this will definitely solve the VRchat black screen issue. Graphic Card Drivers are an essential part of the apps which rely heavily on Graphic cards. Try updating the drivers, if the problem still persists let’s move on to the next solution.
d) Network Issues:
One of the most common mistakes causing VRchat black screen issues is Network issues. A stable internet is needed to play games without any issues. So, try to check whether your internet connection is stable or not. Restart your modem and check whether you are getting black screen again or not.
If the problem still persists, let’s move on to the last solution.
e) Reinstall VRchat:
If you tried all the solutions above then do check for an update of VRchat. Keeping VRchat up-to-date will definitely help you to solve the VRchat black screen issue. If everything fails try reinstalling the app. This will clear all its previous redundant files and the cache memory. This will solve the VRchat black screen issue.
Also do check the VR headset you use is behaving properly or not. Sometimes a headset can also crash the VRchat app, so try fixing your headset also.
So, these were the few solutions which have 100% potential to fix the VRchat black screen issue.To run the VRchat app ensure that you have a good computer with good graphic card and processor which will enhance your experience. That’s it from our side. Have a good day.